AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Friday, September 16, 2011

My exploits in Cloth Diapering...

So, for those of you who know, I have been cloth diapering little E.  It has been quite an adventure but to those of you who thought I wouldn't last or gave me the side eye, guess what, I LOVE IT!!!!! 

It was rough in the beginning because I was trying to use prefolds and covers but I had bought the wrong size prefolds (they were too big for my little E) so I got some cheap contours and they worked ok but since they were cheap they were a little difficult to get on.  My OS pocket diapers arrived two weeks ago and I LOVE THEM too!!  They are very cute and so easy.  They are one size (OS), so they'll grow with her, and they are super easy to wash and take care of.  I only have to do diaper laundry every other day and it is a snap.

For anybody who is on the fence, or has never considered it, I highly recommend it.  However, I would wait until the little one is big enough to fit into OS pocket diapers (around 10-12lbs). 

Using cloth is saving us so much money, at $7-10 for a pack of diapers, disposables are soo expensive.  My OS pockets with the additional organic inserts, total, have cost me around $200 and that's all I'll  have to pay.  Why do you say?  Because I got pretty gender neutral diapers just in case our next little one is a boy, then we can also use the diapers on him aswell.

How easy is it, super easy...see...

This is the actual diaper shell, it is lined with PUL so that it is water-proof and then the inside is fleece to wick away the wet from the babies skin.


These are the inserts, the bottom one is microfiber (I am still waiting for my hemp/bamboo inserts to arrive).  This soaks up all the pee.

This is a hemp liner I use to double up on the main insert.  I do this because my little E is quite the heavy wetter.  She has blown out disposable diapers with her pee in 3 hours.  These little hemp liners can really absorb.


Then I take the insert, put the liner behind it, and stuff it into the diaper.  I do this while watching TV just like folding laundry.  Once stuffed I snap them closed and stack them in her diaper caddy. 

This is my full caddy (I just did diaper laundry today).


Here is happy E just after a diaper change.  I still have not been sable to catch her smiling with the camera...

It is so easy that Adam likes using cloth too.

Ok, my rant about cloth diapers is done, phew, that felt good!  :-)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that its working out for you and that you love it!

    ReplyDelete